Coaching is personal, so compatibility is essential for unlocking a coachee’s success. A great match means a relationship built on trust, commitment and engagement from both a coach and coachee. Our process focuses on creating this best-fit relationship for the coach and coachee.
The most important empirically proven factors that determine a great coach-coachee match are:
- Shared values and goals: When the coach and coachee have a shared understanding of what they want to achieve through the coaching relationship, it creates a common purpose and motivation.
- Trust and rapport: When the coach and coachee are comfortable with each other, they create a safe, trusted space in which the coachee can be free, open, and vulnerable.
- Compatible communication styles: Communicating effectively means being able to listen actively, ask clarifying questions, and give and receive feedback in a way that is respectful and supportive.
- Coach expertise and experience: A coach’s knowledge about specific industries, professional roles, life stages, and coaching topics enables them to help a coachee achieve their goals.
- Coachee openness to change: A coachee must be open to feedback, willing to experiment with new ideas and behaviors, and take responsibility for their own growth.